Emails Can Be Delayed Because of Your Email Client's Rate Limit
To see if you're getting rate limited, open one of your sequences, go to its Emails tab, and sort the list of emails by Scheduled. Hover over the information to the right of an email to reveal when it will be sent and why it was delayed.
If you see this message, then your email client (i.e. Gmail) has placed a sending limit on your account.
You will need to work with your email client to lift this temporary limit, and Gmail created a process for this here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852
Your delayed emails will start to resend once the ban is lifted.
Pro Tip: If you don't see this message, then your emails are being delayed for another reason, such as your Apollo account's sending limit (detailed here), your sequence's delivery schedule (detailed here), or contacts not being verified yet (detailed here and here). For more general information on what can cause messages to not be sent, check out this resource.
How to Avoid This in the Future
- Set your sending limits lower in Apollo to account for the emails you're sending outside of Apollo
- Set your hourly limit lower to generally prevent you from sending too many emails at once
- If you want to increase your sending limits, do so in small increments. This is especially important if you're using a new domain, as you will need some time to build up your reputation. Then, once your reputation is in good standing, you'll be able to send higher volumes of email without being flagged.
Recommended Setup for Sending Limits
- Go to Settings in the left main menu
- Click on You
- Scroll down to the 'Email Settings' section
- Under 'Daily Send Limit', start with 400 and slowly increase -- if necessary -- by 100 every week
- Under 'Max # of Emails Per Hour', start with 100 and slowly increase by 10 every week
- Click Save at the top right of the UI when finished
Article is closed for comments.